Sunday, August 24, 2014

Life's A Beach

Hi guys! Thanks for coming back despite what you had to suffer through last blog post. Y'all are champs.

So after our wonderful scavenger hunt on Saturday, Sidra, Natalie, and I came home and pretty much died.  I don't think any of us did more than shuffle over to the fridge for about 4 hours. Finally I manned up and made dinner.  Quick story about food/cooking: Sidra and Natalie don't know how to do it. Sidra tried making popcorn the other day and completely failed. POPCORN. Finally, per her mom's instructions (s/o to Janine!), she made some that was semi edible.  And both of them were about to eat cereal for dinner on Saturday because that's about all their cooking skills allow them to eat.  And fruit salad. They can make fruit salad. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of cooking this semester which I don't mind at all.  You can just call me Chef Becca :)  Anyways, I made some chicken, pasta, and broccoli for dinner and we were all much happier campers after that.  

Saturday night, despite our sore legs and broken spirits, we decided to head out for our first night on the town.  We went to a bar/club (horray for being legal here!) called Scary Canary with a couple of our other friends.  The club was basically a giant mosh pit with a bar so we "danced" all night.  I use the term dancing loosely because what I was doing was probably not dancing at all considering my complete lack of body coordination/rhythm.  They played super good music including Hollaback Girl, Jump Around, and apparently after we left they even played the Lion King theme song, but like dubstep version. Totally #throwbackthursday.

When we woke up on Sunday morning, we officially declared it a shopping day. We needed food, and kitchen supplies, and pretty much everything essential to being a functional human. So off to K-Mart and Wooly's (the grocery store) we went. And let me tell you, carrying everything needed to start an apartment/kitchen around Sydney is not an easy task. I'm pretty sure I lost feeling in my arms and fingers for at least 4 minutes. But now we have food! Yay for our fridge containing more than broccoli and alcohol!

After our shopping binge, we had about 15 minutes to put everything away and get ready for a walk along the beach that was planned by some of the RA's.  I know I gave you guys a preview of the beach in my last post but that was when it was rainy and gross so it definitely did not do it justice. As most of you know, I LOVE THE BEACH so I was pretty excited to finally get to go on a day where the weather was cooperative. As soon as we got off the bus, the view was breathtaking. 
You can never go wrong with the pano

We then embarked on our 6 km journey from Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach (which we were told was only 5 km), making for a solid 4 mile walk. But this wasn't just any walk. It was more of a double black diamond challenge course including uphill climbs, stairs, twists and turns, and rock ledges. Let's just say that if our legs didn't feel good before this walk, they really didn't after. I basically don't think I have legs and/or feet right now. Nonetheless, the walk was wicked beautiful (happy Sid and Nat?). Since words could never do these beaches justice, I'll just show you some pictures. 

 Coogee Beach


 Roomies!


 There are tons of these saltwater pools that are filled with ocean water. Lots of people swim laps in them or bring their children there to avoid the waves.

 Awesome beachside cemetery (this one's for you Maddie Weber if you're reading this, I know you love a good cemetery) 

 First steps in the Pacific!

So yeah that was our beach walk!
Observation about Australian culture: Kids run around unsupervised everywhere! We saw so many kids just doing their own thing without their parents anywhere in sight. Here's some examples
 This girl was screaming for a solid 5 minutes at her dad who was surfing in the water. Newsflash, he can't hear you
 Chillin' with a ladel

I suppose Australian's are just super trusting!

After the walk we ate dinner at Pompei, a little Italian restaurant along the beach.  I got a pizza followed by gelato at a local gelateria. Maybe I should have gone to Italy instead? We then hopped on the train (which is AMAZING, by far the coolest public transportation I've ever been on) and went home to fall asleep on the couch while watching Modern Family. 

Here's a picture of the train because I'm literally obsessed with it. It's two levels of transportation heaven.


I'll leave you guys with this fun fact: Bondi Beach is one of Australia's most popular beaches and is featured on more postcards and more television shows and films than any other in Australia. It has also become tradition for Australian families to meet and celebrate Christmas on Bondi Beach. If that's not heaven I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment