Monday, September 29, 2014

Just Another Day in (Surfer's) Paradise

So this weekend, Sidra, Natalie, and I traveled to the Gold Coast! The weekend basically consisted of a lot of laying on the beach so I thought I'd write you a rap about it ;)

Please play this in the background during the reading of this blog

Or you could go with the instrumental version if you feel like you know the words already (which I know every person my age does)

Alright here it goes:

Now, this is a story all about how
We went to the Gold Coast and our skin got brown
And I'd like to take a minute 
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how JetStar got us up in the air

In Sydney we had no delays
It was 4 am so we were all in a daze
Writin' papers sleepin' relaxin' all cool
And all wishin' we were sitting be-side the pool
When the plane made a noise that was not very good
Started making me feel misunderstood
We got to the ground but we were all scared
And said 'We don't really want to go back up there, in the air'

We took a bus and a train and we're on our way
Thankfully the hotel was right on the bay
We walked to the beach and tried to look real fit 
I put my ipod on and said, 'I might as well kick it'

Sun's out, yo this ain't bad
Water's so smooth it looks like glass
Is this what the people of Gold Coast living like?
Hmmmm this might be alright

But wait the beach is too pretty and all that
This spring break pre-game is such fun for this cool cat
I got the GoPro
There'll be pictures I swear
I hope you're prepared for some very ratty hair

Well um, Sunday night we went out and about
There was a market and shops that we strolled without doubt
I ain't trying to run around and sweat
I just got here
The three of us slept in one bed, that's not weird

Another day on the beach was met with a cheer
The sign said 'Surfer's Paradise' and the sky couldn't be clearer
If anything I could say that this trip was square
So I thought 'Yeah, we did it' - 'Yo, homes my skin feels rare'

We got back to Sydney about 7 or 8
And I yelled out loud 'This trip was great, haters'
I looked at the Gold Coast 
I want to go back there
To sit on the beach with the wind in my hair


Please hold your applause.

If that rap was not substantial enough for you, here's a more detailed overview of our weekend. Sorry that this post is very poorly written, that song really took it all out of me.

We got up at 4:15 am on Saturday morning to head to the airport for a much needed long weekend.  Our cab driver was playing Black Widow so obviously the day was off to an amazing start. Once we got to our gate, without having to show any form of identification or our boarding passes, we realized that our pilot looked like he was about 12 years old. Maybe 13. He definitely had not hit puberty yet. This didn't really put our sleep deprived minds at ease so we were pretty terrified when the plane made the most horrendous noises for the first 10 minutes of the flight. Thankfully, we landed safely on the ground at the Gold Coast airport and sleepily made our way to our hotel via THE NICEST PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION EVER. Ugh living here makes me not want to go back to the US solely because of how bad our public transit is. When we got to the hotel (after walking four blocks before we realized the hotel was right where the train dropped us off), it was only about 9 am so our room wasn't ready yet. We dropped our bags with the concierge, put our bathing suits on in the bathroom, and gladly headed down to the beach for a nice nap in the sun.

Guys these beaches were beautiful. I know I say that about every beach I have encountered here but they really just do not compare to anything that I have ever seen before. Queensland, the state in which the Gold Coast is located, is known to have some of the nicest beaches in the world, and they lived up to their rep.





We laid on the beach for a couple of hours and then went back to our hotel where we crashed into a deep state of oblivion. Never have I taken such a solid nap. It was great. Finally caught up on our sleep, we went to explore the little beach town of Surfer's Paradise.

We found a cute place to eat dinner and then went back to our hotel to sleep some more. 

Sunday was basically a repeat of Saturday which was totally fine by me. We went to the beach again and just laid out and frolicked in the waves. If I could go in the ocean everyday I would be an exponentially happier person, it's a fact.  

On Sunday night we walked around the city some more and did some shopping at the markets along the Esplanade. It was kind of like a craft fair but more commercialized so it was pretty cool. Sid even got her eyebrows threaded which is for some reason super hard to find here. Yay for tame eyebrows! After that big adventure, we went back to the hotel for another relaxing night of watching Pitch Perfect in bed. Well I watched Pitch Perfect, the other two were weirdly productive and worked on their papers. HAHA wait I almost forgot to tell you guys. So we booked a room for the three of us which only had one king bed in it, figuring that we could share since we are all poor. When we went to check into the hotel, the lady said "I have a room for three...with just one king bed...?" and gave us the most confused/disgusted/concerned look I have ever seen. I'm not sure what she thought was going to happen in that room but she was clearly very worried about it. Her reaction cracked us up and I don't think I'll ever forget it. Sorry I'm poor, weird hotel lady. 

Monday was another beach day (surprise!) as we soaked up our last rays of sun before catching our 8 pm flight back to Sydney. We got to the airport a couple hours early so we had time to look through all of the wonderful GoPro footage that we took over the weekend. Never have I laughed harder in my life. Here are some highlights.


 Sorry Sid. Since I'm apparently blogging for you now I'm obligated to put up embarrassing pictures of you 




 We don't know him



I'll end on a cute one :)

This weekend was absolutely perfect and was a great pre-game to our spring break trip next week. Now to write essays and study for finals, whoo!

Catch ya on the flip side :p

Also if you would like to read what my blog wishes it could be, read my beautiful roommate Ruthie's blog! It puts my blog to shame. Like comeon, the font color matches her lipstick. That's how you know it's real. 









No comments:

Post a Comment